This afternoon, I harvested five stalks of rhubarb from the garden and whipped up the rhubarb bars I mentioned in my previous post.
One leaf disguised a particularly large garden pest…
I wound up using the crust from this recipe since I didn’t have any cream cheese, but it’s very similar to the one in the original link. Here’s the rhubarb stewing away before being pureed:
Then I added the other ingredients, including several splashes of natural food coloring (beetroot extract):
And finally, the finished product:
The verdict: yummy, but I found the curd a bit too thick for my taste–I like it a little bit gooey. Next time I might make more rhubarb puree or aim to keep it a bit runnier with one less egg and/or less cooking time.
Also, my pest turned out to be a helper later on: